Why is Web Browsers so slow at Resolving Hosts

Randy Schrickel randysch at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 23:12:20 UTC 2004

You might also want to look at something totally different (sort of)
which fixed the same problem for me.

Turns out IPV6 was configured on my net interface, and the dns lookups
were going through 3 or 4 failures before falling back to IPV4 and
succeeding. If you ethereal the nslookup, IPV6 replies are marked with
an "AAAA", while IPV4 are labeled "A". ifconfig on your interface will
also show an IPV6 configuration.

How to turn off IPV6? That's what I asked in a different thread on this
list ("disable IPV^?"). The answer is to add a single line to your
/etc/modprobe.conf file, right after the "include
/etc/modprobe.conf.dist" line. The line you need is this:

alias net-pf-10 off

You may need to reboot after that, not sure if a "service network
restart" will do the trick.

Hope that helps, and thanks to Brian Krahmer for suggesting it!
randy