disable IPV6?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Mar 6 03:18:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:02:11PM -0800, Brian Krahmer wrote:
> Personally, I would like to see an option in the setup for whether you want
> to enable IPV6 or not, with the default being Not.  At least, until IPV6
> becomes a reality for mainstream users.

I beg to differ, the default should be on.

> I noticed that we are both on comcast.  I didn't play around with nslookup
> or dig, but perhaps comcast' dns servers are actually returning IPV6
> addresses for some hosts.  If we're getting v6 addresses, but can't connect
> to them because we haven't got a tunnel set up, it would explain the delays,
> as it attempts a v6 connection, fails, then falls back to v4.

There should be no delays. If IPv6 is enabled for the interfaces, there
are two options (currently):

- default route via stateless autoconfig (router advertisement)
- static default route

So unless you _have_ IPv6 outside connectivity (either by some router on
your LAN advertising a default route to your host or by yourself
configuring a static IPv6 default route), there is no default route and
any attempt to connect to an IPv6 address outside your local LAN will
_immediately_ result in a "no route to host" and thus a failure. Without
noticable delay.

Guys... VARs are today shipping even laptops with Windows XP with IPv6
enabled by default.

If someone has long timeout delays, there is something misconfigured...
e.g. a static default to a nonexistant default router. THIS needs to
be fixed.

Regards,
Daniel