2 Issues - NVIDIA & yum/up2date

Brian Hanks bhanks at crackedweasel.org
Sat Mar 6 12:17:05 UTC 2004

I've been testing FC2 since the beginning on a NVIDIA NForce2 chipset
system with a separate NVIDIA graphics cards.  This setup works fine
with FC1, but I'm having a couple of issues with FC2.

First, the system keeps locking up when using certain screensavers.
Based on the information that I have read here, in Bugzilla, and other
places it sounds like it would be related to the XFree86-Mesa-libGL
stuff.  Unfortunately, I've tried both solutions that are listed in
Bugzilla without any success.  I've also tried to add kernel parms to
disable apm and acpi.  No luck, it still locks up.

Second, I've just recently started to have an issue with yum & up2date
both.  Basically, both of them are crashing curing the "Resolving
Dependencies" phase with a segmentation fault.  I've tried two different
repositories for both and I'm getting the same result.  I've tried
rebuilding the RPM database, but still no luck.

Is anyone else having these issues?
Could it be the fact that this board uses the NVIDIA chipset?

Just a thought on the NVIDIA graphics card driver issues:  It sure would
be nice if someone with a lot of knowledge in this area would put
together a HOWTO.  I consider myself to be fairly adept at using the
NVIDIA driver as I've got it running on several machines with different
distributions and rev levels, but I'm more than a bit lost with these
current issues.  (Before anyone tells me, I do know that much of this is
caused by the way that NVIDIA has packaged their more recent drivers).

Thanks for any insight,
Brian Hanks