ATI Radeon drivers can't use RPM kernels

Steve Ward stevewa at spiritone.com
Wed Mar 10 05:14:30 UTC 2004

The statement in the previous posting that the ATI proprietary driver
doesn't work with the RH provided 2.6 for Fedora is correct.  In fact,
you can't even build against Arjan's RPMs because he compiled in the
agpgart drivers instead of making them modules.

If you take Arjan's kernel-source RPM and recompile with the agp drivers
as modules, you can build the fglrx driver, but it oopses on load.

If you take the vanilla Linus 2.6.3, use Arjan's .config file (after
changing the agp drivers to modules) you can build and use the fglrx
driver without difficulty.

(note this all done on FC1 as I have not yet upgraded my desktop machine
to FC2-test ... will try after test2 isos come out).

(note2 I'm using the kernel-provided agpgart, not the one built into
ATI's driver, as theirs doesn't support my oddball Via P4X400 chipset)

glxgears reports 3687.600 FPS on a 2.53GHz P4B.