png problems

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 13:50:39 UTC 2004

> i would prefer  rpm
> eg.
> # rpm -Fvh /path/to/rpm

now.. why didn't I think of that??? lol (thanks shrek!)

ok.. got it.. we're all nicely updated (apart from balsa but will fix
that some other time)

now.. next question... gnome is screwed.. kde *kinda* works but most of
the icons/buttons are all messed up..

all I can find in the logs are hundreds off "Couldn't recognise the
image file format for file.../path/to/some/png/file"

I've checked to see libpng is installed...

-----------------
[root at craig craig]# rpm -qa | grep png
libpng10-1.0.13-10.1
libpng-devel-1.2.2-19.1
libpng10-devel-1.0.13-10.1
libpng-1.2.2-19.1
[root at craig craig]#

I don't understand why there's 2 versions there but am presuming it's
either *supposed* to be like that.. or more likely they are conflicting
which is causing this problem...

Am I right? if so should I just uninstall one of the versions? or will
that royally screw things up further? and if so which one to remove?

This is even affecting gdm so am having to boot to text login.. switch
to kde and then go from there..

Thanks for any suggestions..

Craig