VMware with FC2T1

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 10 14:15:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Ben Steeves wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 00:00, Anthony Joseph Seward wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 23:29 -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone have any luck getting VMware 4 to work against FC2 Test 1?  I
> > > downloaded and ran vmware-any-any-update53.tar.gz as suggested in
> > > numerous places, and I do have kernel-source installed (I'm running the
> > > latest dev kernel, kernel-2.6.3-2.1.246).
> > >

> > I've been able to compile the modules for the latest beta on all of the
> > FC2 kernels that I've tried so far (after having applied the update you
> > mention, of course).
> >
> > You do not need the kernel-source rpm to compile modules for the 2.6
> > kernels.
> >
> > > vmware-config.pl keeps complaining about not being able to find
> > > '/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-2.1.246/include/linux/version.h', which, indeed,
> > > does not appear to exist.
> > >

> > It should be looking for
> > /lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.246/build/include/linux/version.h, which is part
> > of the kernel rpm.

it is?  maybe with the 2.6 kernel, but on my current FC1 system, if i have
an installed 2.4 kernel binary rpm, then the symlink
/lib/modules/<kernel>/build points at where the kernel source tree would
*normally* exist -- that is, under /usr/src.  if the kernel source is not
installed, that link exists but points at nothing.

is this different with 2.6?  (sorry, i'm not at a system i can test this.)
are you saying that if i have no 2.6 kernel source tree, then the file
version.h will exist under /lib/modules?  does that mean that build is no
longer a symlink?  what's going on under that directory?

rday