x86_64 list of problems

Pau Aliagas linuxnow at newtral.org
Wed Mar 10 22:33:46 UTC 2004

I've installed FC1 and devel in separate partitions to be able to help in
the tests, so I'll post a short list of things that simply do not work:

Problem 1
---------
-X crashes when drawing a window (both in devel and FC1)
 The graphics card is a Mobility Radeon 9600 M10. I copied the XFConfig
 from the x86_84 FAQ.
 When I switch to runlevel 5, xdm starts, but crashes when a window is
 drawn, as when you choose the language. It also crashes after logging,
 before drawing any app icon in the fedora splash screen.
-solution: install Xfree86-4.0 from source and X works.

Problem 2
---------
-cannot add users: I suppose it's related to some selinux thing I still do
 not understand. This makes installing rpms that add users a pain, as
 useers are not created (i.e. postfix).

Problem 3
---------
-yum updates:
 I never can connect to download.fedora.redhat.com, it fails
 with: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request
 Other mirrors fail with:
 Downloading needed headers
 retrygrab() failed for:
  ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64//headers/tcl-0-8.4.5-6.x86_64.hdr
  Executing failover method
 failover: out of servers to try
 Error getting file
 ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64//headers/tcl-0-8.4.5-6.x86_64.hdr
 [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong

 Any good mirrors for devel? Many of them simply carry the RPMS,
 forbidding yum.

Question 4
-mozilla i386 or mozilla x86_64? I have i386 installed.

Thanks for your help.
Pau