kernel missing after apt-get dist-upgrade

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Mar 11 16:33:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:01:10AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > [root at issola root]# yum list updates | grep -i kernel
> > kernel                              i586   2.6.1-1.65               upgrade
>
> i586? There's an i586 kernel being built for fc2test1?

Looks like.

> what arch kernel do you have installed?  I'm betting it's not i586.

You lose the bet. :-) That's a test machine, running FC1 as updated. I
had previously set its yum.conf to point to the FC2 ISOs for testing,
so I could generate that output on it with ease. You don't think I'm
going to run a test release on my production machine, do you?

I did the upgrade that lead to this thread on an Athlon machine, but
that should make no difference.

> > [root at issola root]# pre yum
> > yum-2.0.5-1
> >
> > However, when I ran "yum upgrade", it did not install the
> > kernel. Should I have run "yum update"?
>
> no yum upgrade is just yum update but it also includes obsoletes.

Thanks