Fedora package management

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Fri Mar 12 01:08:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 22:06 +0000, James Bond wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using fedora core 2 and realized that the rpm package management GUI
> has changed completely. I have few queries related to the fedora package
> management GUI (Add/Remove packages):

Update to the latest version and test, then file bugs on bugzilla.  I
believe this tool is supposed to work before test 2.. but make sure to
search for existing bugs.  Right now there are still issues with the
development version on my system, so testing is needed.

This tool is probably what should be associated with rpms, eventually.
It currently is not on my dev system and I don't know if there are plans
for it to be (or perhaps my system is broken in that regard).

> 3: If I run, up2date agent on Fedora core 2 system, will it go to the right
> fedora repository and pick all the required package and update them? Do I
> have to configure anything to be able to get it working?

It should have the main Red Hat server configured, however that server
is very overloaded and will timeout often.  Configure a mirror instead
(see the mirror list at fedora.redhat.com)

--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE major
California Polytechnic University, SLO
fedora at andrewfarris.com