Some questions about Fedora Cora 2 test1

Veiko Sinivee veiko.sinivee at solo.delfi.ee
Sun Mar 14 15:21:11 UTC 2004

Hi,

I installed Foedora Core 2 test1 on my laptop. I must admit it's working
better. My laptop has a SIS gaphic chip and mayby because of this RedHat
9 and Fedora Core 1 never worked (Mandrake worked fine). Anaconda just
didn't start. I tried with nofb but no help. Anyways now it works.
So problems:
1) No drive icons for CD or USB stick. I read somewhere this is because
of kernel 2.6. But the icons do not appear if I insert a CD or USB stick
either. Probably a silly thing but I'd still like to know the answer.
2) How about CD writing now that ide-scsi is no longer used for CD
writers? Can I use gtoaster?
3) I mounted USB stick with manual commands. If I resatrt computer with
stick inserted the system recongnizes it. It always uses sda1 (still
ide-scsi !) for it, but actually it should use sda4 (partitition 4 is
used). If I correct it manually then the system constantly resets it to
sda1 which is wrong. I removed the atribute "kudzu" from /etc/fstab
entry to stop it being "too smart". This works but I think there's got
to be a better way?

regards,

Veiko