Some questions about Fedora Cora 2 test1

Frederic de Villamil neuro at seclab.jp
Sun Mar 14 15:42:08 UTC 2004

Hi Veiko!

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Veiko Sinivee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Foedora Core 2 test1 on my laptop. I must admit it's working
> better. My laptop has a SIS gaphic chip and mayby because of this RedHat
> 9 and Fedora Core 1 never worked (Mandrake worked fine). Anaconda just
> didn't start. I tried with nofb but no help. Anyways now it works.
> So problems:
> 1) No drive icons for CD or USB stick. I read somewhere this is because
> of kernel 2.6. But the icons do not appear if I insert a CD or USB stick
> either. Probably a silly thing but I'd still like to know the answer.
> 2) How about CD writing now that ide-scsi is no longer used for CD
> writers? Can I use gtoaster?
> 3) I mounted USB stick with manual commands. If I resatrt computer with
> stick inserted the system recongnizes it. It always uses sda1 (still
> ide-scsi !) for it, but actually it should use sda4 (partitition 4 is
> used). If I correct it manually then the system constantly resets it to
> sda1 which is wrong. I removed the atribute "kudzu" from /etc/fstab
> entry to stop it being "too smart". This works but I think there's got
> to be a better way?
>

> regards,
>
> Veiko

Hi,

About the  first point did  you have a  look at your  /etc/fstab? Does
your cdrom  line points to  your cdrom device?  When I insert  a cdrom
into my cdrom  drive, it is automaticaly mounted, and  I have the icon
on my Desktop (I'm currently using gnome).

About the second one, it  seems the cdrtools and dvdrtools now support
atapi drives and it works very well for me.

About the third one, I must admit I don't know :(.

regards
Frederic
--
< Ylli> lol je rigole neuro jte prend pa pr un pervers ms un president et pere de famille respectable :s
http://www.seclab.jp