Linux "bluescreen"

RJ hellcat at hispeed.ch
Mon Mar 15 18:50:16 UTC 2004

Hi

I installed fedora core 1 on my second machine but i had a very strange effect.

1. Installed FC1 from CD's
2. Updated to latest released patches for FC1
3. Upgraded to FC2 Test 1 using yum upgrade

When i try to start with the latest kernel everything seems to work fine.
kudzu detects some new hardware and enters the configuration screen.
After a second i get a bluescreen with strange characters and my pc doesn't
respond to any key presses.

Using interactive startup and not running kudzu it seems to run fine.

So i change the config option safe=yes in the kudzu config.
Now i get a kernel panic instead. Can't recall what exactly it is but i
think something about spin_lock.

I guess it is hardware the new kernel initializes and kudzu doesn't know how it
can probe it correctly.

I could try to install FC2 Test1 directly from the isos and do an update and see if
it is some hardware that is causing me trouble or the upgrade process.

RJ