mutt and squid, removed because of dep problems, errors

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 22:37:07 UTC 2004

Sandy Pond wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 07:42 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Removing packages that have dep problems, is by no means a solution for
>>resolving conflicts, with other programs. I don't think doing a nodep is
>>a good practice either.
>

> This is really a custom situation that depends on many things.
>

>>For nautilus-media removal, it was more of a test to satisfy other media
>>applications and on Sandy's detective work on pinning down
>>nautilus-media as the offending application.
>

> This is real easy if you use "yum provides <file>" and "yum list
> <package>" after a dependency failure.  Maybe yum could do a better job
> of doing an automatic "provide" and "list" when it encounters a
> dependency problem.

Having the program automatically showing which programs are holding back
the newer installation of libraries or other programs sounds like it
would help the average user. I found the conflicting newer programs but
did not know that nautilus-media was the only program that was holding
back the installation.
I'll try the yum provides and list features for the next failure. Thanks!

>>If this wasn't a test process and things weren't changing so quickly. It
>>would be better to submit a bug for the problems encountered. However,
>>without the postings related to the conflicts, it is hard for people to
>>know what is really going on. One problem, many solutions.
>>

> This is really a custom situation that depends on many things.

Agreed, I wouldn't remove libs or xfree to remove a minor conflict.