My gnome session wont start, howto troubleshoot

Last time i booted I had to log into root before i could log into my account.

This time i simply can't log into my gnome account (using kde now)

The splash screen comes up but nothing else. I think the window manager icon should flash in the splash screen, but doesnt.

How to trouble shoot?

   * I can log in as root with a gnome session
   * I can log into my account with gdm

Cheers

PS How do you configure fonts in kde???

--