Someone Explain: Whats going on X.org/XFree

Richard Ayer III rwa1 at cec.wustl.edu
Sat Mar 20 17:53:42 UTC 2004

Barry K. Nathan wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:41:14PM -0600, Richard Ayer III wrote:
>

>>RaXeT,
>>
>>    I think that you need to do rpm -ivh xorg-x11-* because you want to
>>install, not upgrade, the xorg packages.
>>

>No, it's rpm -Uvh. You want to Upgrade from XFree86 to xorg-x11-* (which
>obsoletes XFree86-*).
>
>Right now after you upgrade to the xorg-x11 packages you have to edit
>/etc/ld.so.conf to re-add /usr/X11R6/lib, then you need to re-run
>ldconfig, then "chkconfig xfs on", and restart xfs. (At least, that's
>what I had to do to get things working.)
>
>-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>

That's what I had to do, though I used sudo yum install xorg-x11* to
upgrade. Everything looks great except for one thing (kinda unrelated),
what exactly do I put where in XF86Config to turn on 3D acceleration? I
have Load dri in the Module scetion, and a DRI section setting Group 0
and Mode 0666. I have and ATI AIW 9800 Pro, and I set ChipID 0x4e46 in
the device section so it thinks I have a 9700 and I can use the provided
radeon driver;  anyone know if my card is actually supported in the new
xorg-x11?

TIA.
Richard Ayer III