Strange package dependency problem

Iain Rae iainr at zathras.org
Sun Mar 21 20:42:04 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>>sorry, not quite sure what you're asking:
>>
>>Are we updating whole machines to rawhide? no.
>>Do we pull indivdual (s)rpms out of rawhide? a small number yes, but
>>it's usually the last on the list before writing our own rpms from scratch.
>>Do we feed packages/patches/reports back into rawhide? the policy is we
>>should though It's left up to individual admins to do it for the
>>packages they're responsible for.
>>

>so you're controlling your own tree and things are still broken? This
>sounds like $user-error to me.

Things will break for various reasons , including user-error. The user
error ones tend to get noticed very quickly since they tend to effect
large numbers of machines. Not all the hosts are running the same rpm
sets so you get the occasional unforseen conflict, some people will
leave huge amounts of crap in /tmp  or /var/tmp so some updates will
fail. some machines are switched off for a couple of weeks then switched
on again, some combinations of postinstall scripts don't work well at
install time but are fine if you update/install the rpms on an installed
machine...