hmmmm, now what - radeon and xorg configuration

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 07:30:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, TGS wrote:

>So now I am up and running with xorg, but I have a few
>questions. I am using the Radeon Mobility 9600 (M10) and want to
>actually use the card, and not just the VESA driver.

Edit the config file by hand for now, and change it to use the
"radeon" driver.  This will be automatic in a future update of
the hwdata package for FC2.

>So, what do I use to configure xorg? Do I use
>systen-display-config as usual?

Yes.

>I say that since it seems odd that the configuration file used
>to drive xorg would still be XF86Config.

Xorg is under development, it is not a final release.  The mass
renaming of s/XFree86/Xorg/ has not yet occurred in the mail
branch of CVS, however it will in the next while sometime.  That
will be a post FC2test2 change.

>Where do I find out what drivers are supported in the release> I
>am looking and looking, but cannot find docs on the sparse xorg
>site.

There is no official list anywhere yet.  Use the XFree86 4.4.0
hardware support page as a reasonable guide, since Xorg X11 is
based upon 4.4.0.  Note that the XFree86 docs themselves are not
usually 100% accurate and up to date.

There is no 100% accurate up to date video hardware support list
anywhere, at least not to the best of my knowledge.

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat