xorg + nvidia = bad news

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 18:23:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Maynard Kuona wrote:

>It is something about xorg which I had issues with. You need to change
>your font path in XF86Config. I have attached my XF86Config for you.
>
>I noticed that when I removed XF86Config, gdm started properly. I have
>an NVidia card, so it should work well for you too. The old font path
>which was "unix/:7100" doesn't seem to work too well.

unix/:7100 is the xfs font server, which works perfectly well as
long as it is running.  Some people have done the upgrade and
encountered the problem of xfs getting deconfigured with
chkconfig, which causes xfs to not automatically start at boot
time, also xfs is shut down on upgrade if it's running (but that
is intentional).

So, if you upgrade to X.org and have problems with your font
path, it is not a bug in the font path.  Just add xfs with
chkconfig:

chkconfig --add xfs

Then start the service:

service xfs start

Then xfs should start, and the X server should start up because
it can now talk to the font server.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat