hmmmm, now what - radeon and xorg configuration

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Mar 24 18:57:41 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 12:46:14PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 08:30, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>>

>>>There is no 100% accurate up to date video hardware support list
>>>anywhere, at least not to the best of my knowledge.
>>>

>>Is there such a list for 3D video harware with fully open source drivers
>>(no binary thanks) that support at least some of the 3D features of the
>>hardware? I hope the list is not empty...
>>

>Intel have pretty good support for their chipsets and are one vendor who
>generally fund this stuff for their bits. VIA provided the original 3D
>code for the CLE266 which is now supported (FC2t lacks some oddments).
>3DFx Voodoo 3+ work well (except on FC2t right now but thats hopefully
>going to sort out). Some radeons (7xxx,9000,9100 but not the high end ones),
>and also rage 128 work well.

Agreed, voodoo3 cards work great, out of the box - and you can still
find them for sale, cheap.

Intel onboard (i8xx) video chipsets generally work fine too, but I have
not had any luck with any ATI chipsets - I have gotten lockups every
time I tried an ATI card - and the last time was a few months ago on
FC1. If I had the time I'd go through the code and look for locking
problems or whatever, but it's just easier to buy a different video card.

Joe