xorg install - X won't start completely

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Thu Mar 25 09:46:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 04:52, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Maynard Kuona wrote:
>
> >>Section "Module"
> >>         Load  "dbe"
> >>         Load  "extmod"
> >>         Load  "fbdevhw"
> >>         Load  "glx"
> >>         Load  "record"
> >>         Load  "freetype"
> >>         Load  "type1"
> >>         Load  "dri"
> >>EndSection
> >>

> > Also, xorg supports running without XF86config. I used this to fix mine
> > after it wouldn't find my fonts. Although it was running at limited
> > resolution.
> >

> How does it support running without a configuration file? Is there
> another file for configuring X somewhere? Or you talking about the old
> configuration program before redhat-config-xfree86?
>
> If it figured out dynamically which settings were best for the machine.
> It seems that there would be long delays starting and a chance of
> over-excercising the video card with setting trials.
>
> If it went by some database for cards, took the settings, stored the
> settings in specific registers, then used other standardized schemes, it
> might work.
>
> I'm glad the module excerpt helped improve the resolution for graphics.
>
> Jim
No, there are not long delays. It just loads up the video drivers and
start X. Nothing noticeable in terms of slowdown for me. Besides, kudzu
already knows what hardware you have, so it shouldn't be too long
anyway.

This running without a config file was a feature of XFree86 4.4, and so
it made it into xorg. If you are using the nvidia drivers though, you
may want to remove the dri part in the modules section.