Setting sound level on startup

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Mar 25 16:26:07 UTC 2004

Chris Kloiber <ckloiber at redhat.com> writes:

>> I'd like to see this done elsewhere if possible.  We don't all use X each
>> time we want to use our audio hardware.  Perhaps pam_audio (I'm not sure if
>> this is a tonge-in-cheek proposal or not)?
>
> alsamixer runs on the command line, but I agree it should not need to be
> run to unmute and increase the volume. Sane defaults should be set
> (maybe 40%) during firstboot, then let the customer adjust it.

I was wondering if you posters have something in /etc/modprobe.conf
similar to what I have:
  alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
  install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
  /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but it appears it might
reset aumix to 0 on reboot.

Note, it is a hidden /etc/.aumixrc referrenced there too.

I was just about to post asking after the meaning of these lines when
I noticed your thread.