FC2 Development observations/comments/questions

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Mar 25 17:29:43 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 09:48, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 17:48 -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> > 2. When I installed FC2 x86_64 today I noticed some extra options on
> > package selection (they may have also been there for the i386 install but
> > I did not notice).  The options were for two new package groupings
> > involving compatability libraries.  I assume these had something to do
> > with ix86 packages on the x86_64 system but that was not at all clear.
> > Should I report this as a bug?
>
> No, these are supposed to be there on x86_64 and are intentionally not
> present on i386 (there's no other arch for it to support).

The "bug" I am refering to is that it is not clear that these selections refer
to ix86 packages.  Otherwise, this option look good.

[snip]
> > 5. One thing that really puzzles me.  For the ix86 install, there is a
> > simple graphic that comes up in the top part of the initial screen when
> > you first boot boot.iso (the one where you can select text, gui, expert,
> > askmethod, etc, etc).  This does NOT appear on the x86_64 install -- just
> > the text messages and prompt.  For that matter, it did not appear on the
> > FC1 x86_64 install either.  I do not understand?
>
> Some early x86_64 hardware had problems with the isolinux graphics
> mode... I should actually put it back and see if it causes things to
> break.

Same system ASUS SK8V runs the ix86 installer just fine ... including the
"splash".  For someone use to a Red Hat or Fedora Core install, it just looks
a bit "strange" without the "splash" graphics.
--
Gene