new kernels, cifs and new webmin

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 26 07:15:15 UTC 2004

"William Hooper" <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> writes:

> [whooper at poit whooper]$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=whooper
> //brain/backups /mnt/temp/
> Password:
> [whooper at poit whooper]$ cd /mnt/temp/
> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
> ls: test: No such file or directory
> [whooper at poit temp]$ touch test
> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
> test
> [whooper at poit temp]$ rm test
> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
> ls: test: No such file or directory
> [whooper at poit temp]$
>
> Brain is a Win2k Pro machine.  Note that I have a non-blank password, but
> I don't know if that is your issue or not.

You're having no problem writing... In my case the //HOST is
win-xp pro and share /J-ahn-d has win-xp permissions settings of
 [x] Share this folder on the network
 [x] Allow network users  to change files

No password.  Far as I know there is no other settings
available. Than what appear on the dialog box where I've checked the
above.

I've just tried several incantations using mount -t like your example.
It will mount even with no -o (options) given.  Or as you''ve done
with a username only.  But still I cannot write to it.

I've spoken with Steve French about this.  He is one of the upstream
mainters of cifs, but still haven't found the reason or a solution.

All commands are done as root:

 mount -t cifs -o username=reader //exp-xp/J-ahn-d /mnt/J-ahn-d
 Password: <PRESSED ENTER>

mount
  [...]
  /dev/hdb1 on /mnt/exp type ext3 (rw)
  //exp-xp/J-ahn-d on /mnt/J-ahn-d type cifs (0)

What is strange is that I CAN delete files:
  # ls /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt
  /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt

  # rm /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt
  rm: remove regular file `/mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt'? y

  # ls /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt
  ls: /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt: No such file or directory

But cannot create them:
   touch /mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt
   touch: cannot touch `/mnt/J-ahn-d/new/conf.txt': Permission denied
   (Or any other name)

But reverting to smbfs with no other changes and there is no problem.