apt-get dist-upgrade fails

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Mar 26 07:03:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jeff Williams wrote:

> i'm running fc2 test 1 and when i run "apt-get dist-upgrade" i get the
> following output (i have only included the last lines since everything
> above this seemed to be fine):
>
> Unsigned /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-devel_6%3a3.2.1-1.5_i386.rpm:
> sha1 md5 OK
> Unsigned /var/cache/apt/archives/freeglut_2.2.0-11_i386.rpm: sha1 md5 OK
> E: Error: 16 unsigned package(s)
> 0 package(s)s with unknown signatures
> 0 package(s) with illegal/corrupted signatures
>
> these are pretty important packages. is it just that they are so new
> that they have not been signed yet?

Rawhide packages aren't usually signed at all, though on occasion the
Fedora-test-GPG key is used to sign 'em.

It's quite ok to ignore the missing signatures of rawhide as long as
you're using a trustworthy mirror (an IP-only address given by some
warez-dude at irc.. I wouldn't trust that :) - you don't want to run
rawhide on important systems anyway.

You can temporarily disable GPG checking by using "-o
rpm::gpg-check=false" option, or put that to apt.conf to permanently
disable the check.

> is there a way in apt-get that i can tell it to not give me the latest
> version of these files? thank you much.

Yup.. if you really want, you can do that but it's kinda pointless in
rawhide. For ugly details of how to do it see "man apt_preferences".

	- Panu -