disable IPV6?

Randy Schrickel randysch at comcast.net
Sat Mar 27 02:05:37 UTC 2004

Randy Schrickel wrote:

> (really appreciate you (daniel) and whoever else actually takes the time
> to look at this!)

It's been a couple weeks, and I'm still playing with this, so I thought
I'd post my latest news (solution?). Someone (thanks Ricky) emailed me a
nice link for testing "internet speed" that should be pretty DNS
intensive - http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed . Even though my last fix
seemed to help, that website told me I was only getting about 30-50 kbps
download speeds. The same machine, dual booted into Windows XP Pro came
out about 350kbps!

So I finally did something tonight I've been thinking of - unplugging my
  "wireless broadband router" (a D-Link DI-614+) and plugging the cable
modem directly into the PC. It's been cabled to the D-Link, not wireless
on this machine. Wow. My speed to that site now came up between 400 and
500 kbps! Cool. Except my wife wouldn't be happy with no wireless to the
other PC, so this won't do.

I decided to flash upgrade the router bios to see if that makes a
difference. So I did that, and re-connected to the router. Now I'm
getting at least 350kbps! Current bios version is "2.20, Tue 19 Aug
2003" and I've got kernel 2.6.3-2.1.253. I also wrote to D-Link's tech
support, and they suggested that I change the 614's MTU to 1492. I
haven't tried that, but I'm not sure it will help any more - from what
I've read, that value should be used for DSL (PPoE).

I haven't tried it yet with "ipv6 enabled" to see if that original
setting makes any difference at all now. Interestingly, I found this
link
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20868797.html
which talks about the same problem I've described only with Mandrake.
Their solution - disable ipv6, just like I'd done before!

Sorry for the long posting, but I like to be complete. ;) I'll probably
post my results again after I re-enable ipv6.

Thanks to all who have helped and offered suggestions.

randy