smbfs won't mount

Frederic de Villamil neuro at seclab.jp
Sun Mar 28 20:42:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, G. Vamsee Krishna wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I've just finished installing Fedora Core 2 - Test 1 on my system.
> The kernel 2.6.1-1.65, is small, fast and sweet. KDE 3.2 rocks. But the
> problem is, I'm unable to mount smb filesystems from the network. I'm not
> an expert at kernel hacking/debugging. The error message is something like
> this:
>
> # smbmount //IP/share /mnt/junk -o username=<some name>,password=<password>
> ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
> Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
> smbmnt failed: 255
>
> # modprobe smbfs
> FATAL: Module smbfs not found.
>
> I've had no such problems with Fedora Core 1. Now, how can patch things up
> so that I can mount shares?

Hello,
as ntfs and  smbfs may create copyright issues,  they are not compiled
in the kernel by default.
You have to compile the samba and NTFS modules from the kernel sources
in order to use them.

Regards
Frederic
--
< Ylli> lol je rigole neuro jte prend pa pr un pervers ms un president
et pere de famille respectable :s