smbfs won't mount

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun Mar 28 21:00:35 UTC 2004

Frederic de Villamil wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, G. Vamsee Krishna wrote:
>

>># smbmount //IP/share /mnt/junk -o username=<some name>,password=<password>
>>ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
>>Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
>>smbmnt failed: 255
>>
>># modprobe smbfs
>>FATAL: Module smbfs not found.
>>
>>I've had no such problems with Fedora Core 1. Now, how can patch things up
>>so that I can mount shares?
>>

>Hello,
>as ntfs and  smbfs may create copyright issues,  they are not compiled
>in the kernel by default.
>You have to compile the samba and NTFS modules from the kernel sources
>in order to use them.

hmmm ?

afaik smbfs is not compiled in because cifs is the way to go in the future.
without smbfs we are forced to *test* cifs
you can compile a custom-kernel, but afaik this was not the intention

try instead
# mount -t cifs //IP/share /mnt/junk -o
ip=ip_adress,username=user,password=password

if you should find a bug, go to bugzilla.redhat.com
check your share- and ntfs-permissions on your windows-box before you cry
if you do not know the differences or how to do this :-((

afaik it could be that in the final fedora core both,cifs and smbfs, are
compiled in

--
shrek-m