SSH and charset

Igor Romanenko romanenko.igor at kyivstar.net
Mon Mar 29 16:43:05 UTC 2004

В сообщении от 29 Март 2004 15:26 Igor N. Kolomiyets написал(a):
> I had previously issues with ru_RU.UTF-8 on FC1. But they seem to be
> fixed in FC2. At least no new glitches so far.

There are some glitches with locales. E.g., yum ignores the setting
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R and prints it's messages in UTF-8, unless
you set LANG=C

Actually, another problem is that KOI8-R (or KOI8-U for Ukrainian)
is a de facto standard encoding for free unices in Russia (Ukraine).
Almost all text files are in KOI8-R (KOI8-U), including program
sources, TeX documents, etc. Converting all this to UTF-8
is a tedious task - don't you think? ;)

Again, all this is my HO, although, judging from local mailing lists,
many users think along these lines.

Sincerely,

--
Igor Romanenko                                                   @..@