Scanner Frustration

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Tue May 4 18:04:59 UTC 2004

> Read my email again: the current console user gets ownership of the
> device *when it is plugged in*.  The chown happens at the point of
> inserting the device

The phrase "when it is plugged in" has at least two interpretations:
   1) the dynamic event of inserting the device
   2) the static condition of having an existing connection
So, further explanation is necessary to clarify the meaning.

-- so if it is always plugged in, root gets it at
> boot time (in absence of there actually being a console user).
>
> So, if you unplug the cable and re-insert it, things should work.
>
> I know it isn't ideal: as I said, suggestions for fixing it are
> welcome.

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf has a list of devices that kudzu records at boot,
and my USB scanner and USB mouse, which remain plugged in at all times,
appear in that list.  Why not simulate a hotplug event based on
[some of] the devices listed in hwconf?   I observe that logging in
on the console PS2 keyboard+display causes usb.agent to be called for
my USB mouse, although agent finds no matches, and nothing changes.
This seems peculiar to me: I never unplug or re-plug the mouse.
[My mouse is actually a Logitech trackball: 0x046d/0xc404.]

--
John Reiser, jreiser at BitWagon.com