FC2T3 problems with S3Trio3D and Sis315

I've tried Fc2T3 on two PC: an old IBM PC300 with S3Trio3D and a PC Asus A7V8x with Sis315.
They both had FC1 installed and working perfectly.

On both I had to reboot in text mode and use startx to start Gnome.

On S3Trio3d the screen gets black while with Sis315 I get fancy colors
lines and spots.

The symptoms are much like "x on VIA/S3G graphics".

regards,
Lorenzo