header/RPM mismatch

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Sat May 1 22:45:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:25:20PM -0400, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:
> If yum is not to replace up2date for updating, then why does it exist?

As much as I hate to bring car analogies into a computer discussion...

This is like saying "if the Ford F150 is not to replace the Ranger,
then why does it exist?".  They do different things.  Sure the primary
function of yum and up2date is the same (just as for the F150 and
Ranger) but they differ in significant ways.  These ways may not be
significant TO YOU, but they ARE to some people.

> What itch is _it_ scratching that up2date
> wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't scratch?

Well, I'm not even sure up2date existed when Seth started hacking on
yum.  When up2date came into common use, many people preferred yum
because it let you use multiple repositories and didn't require you to
pay to set up your own server.  Maybe up2date satisfies this now as
well.  I don't know, but the list goes on and on.  I'm sure up2date
has features that some people really like, as well.

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G