test3 vs make xconfig

A1tmblwd at netscape.net A1tmblwd at netscape.net
Sat May 1 23:18:37 UTC 2004

Sorry, typo on my part.  Use "make gconfig" not "make qconfig".  You can get the straight scoop from the kernel README.

The advice regarding qtconfig applies to version 3.2.1.  You need to click on the font tab and uncheck the "Enable Anti-Aliased Font Support (Xft)" box.

The "Enable Anti-Aliased Font Support (Xft)" option has been removed from Qt Configuration, version 3.3.1.

I have not encountered any problems using either xconfig or gconfig under FC2T3.

--Kam

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

>On Saturday 01 May 2004 16:25, A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
>>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>>Greets all;
>>>
>>>I just ran a make xconfig on that fresh install of test3 on my shop
>>>box as I wanted to turn on a full fledged ISA bus scan since there
>>>are two custom made 8 bit ISA cards containing a few relays and
>>>apparently a whole 8 bit wide input port per card, and while I have
>>>what appears to be normal fonts elsewhere, all I get on the xconfig
>>>screen are gfx chars, little boxes of various shapes and half,
>>>quarter, and full moons in a character sized box.
>>>
>>>That box isn't on a network allthough it may be eventually when I
>>> can figure out howto get some cat5 run to the shop building.  I
>>> hate digging ditches, been there, done that once already for power
>>> out there.
>>>
>>>Running gnome of course since there is apparently no terminals
>>>available if I switchdesk to kde.  And it sure don't look like the
>>>kde I'm looking at here!
>>>
>>>How can I fix these fubared characters?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Cheers, Gene
>>
>>Use qconfig. It's not broken. If you must use xconfig, an anonymous
>> poster in a 2.6.5 kernel forum recommended running qtconfig.
>> Deselect (turn off) the option labeled "Enable Anti-Aliased Font
>> Support (XFT)". It worked for me.
>>
>Thanks Kam.  If you are refering to "make qconfig", thats an error 2,
>no such option in the makefile or some such twaddle.
>
>When I arrived up the hill at the shop, and woke up the monitor(I'd
>left it running when I came down the hill to send the previous msg),
>the screen was trashed, and I had to exit x and restart it to clean
>up the screen (I'm using a blank screen as the screensaver).  Now it
>seems to me the least fussy screensaver is a blank screen, needs
>little of no cpu.  But this is test 3, so...
>
>That machine did pass about 3 full passes of memtest86 nice and
>cleanly.
>
>Next suggestion?  Does a make menuconfig still work?
>
>>-- Kam Leo
>>
>--
>Cheers, Gene

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.