Re: header/RPM mismatch

Michael Stenner wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:25:20PM -0400, Fulko Hew sita aero wrote:

If yum is not to replace up2date for updating, then why does it exist?

Well, I'm not even sure up2date existed when Seth started hacking on
yum.  When up2date came into common use, many people preferred yum
because it let you use multiple repositories and didn't require you to
pay to set up your own server.  Maybe up2date satisfies this now as
well.  I don't know, but the list goes on and on.  I'm sure up2date
has features that some people really like, as well.

i do not know when seth started with yum but rhn-applet and up2date are doing a good job since a few years for me

$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) $ rpm -qf `which rhn-needed-packages up2date` rhn-applet-1.0.6-11 up2date-gnome-2.8.40-3.7.3

on fc1

$ rpm -q up2date yum rhn-applet
up2date-4.1.21-3
yum-2.0.5-1