Annoying flashing in gnome-terminal

Does anyone have their whole screen flash when backspacing, when there is nothing to backspace, in gnome-terminal ?

If I press the backspace button in a new terminal window, when there is nothing to backspace, the whole screen flashes as if it's being redrawn slowly.

I'm running a Celeron 800, GA686BXS board w/t a Voodoo3 2000 AGP video, PCI SB 128 and a PCI 10/100 network card (Generic RTL8139).