libusb and scanners - scanner module removed in 2.6 kernel

I was trying to use bugzilla and it did not work correctly. Anyway, the version of SANE-Backends is 1.0.13 and there was a lead that a hotplug wrapper might be needed to fix the scanner problem using the 2.6 kernel and scanners.
By checking out the SANE webpage, I found the below information. This is a recent change. Is this USB hotplugging fix what is needed?
Currently, I run a chown user /proc/bus/usb/001/004 in my /etc/rc.local file to get my scanner working on boot. I leave it plugged into the same usb port.

any help?

Jim

Latest News

2004-05-01: SANE-Backends-1.0.14 has been released

* New backend: u12
* Updated backends: artec, artec_eplus48u, as6e, avision, canon630u, canon_pp, epson, fujitsu, gphoto2, gt68xx, hp, matsushita, mustek, mustek_pp, mustek_usb, plustek, plustek_pp, sm3600, snapscan, teco1, teco2, u12, umax, umax_pp, v4l.
* Added scripts for USB hotplugging (Linux)
* Added Danish translation. Updated other translations.
* sane-find-scanner knows about more chipsets now.
* Portability fixes (especially for MacOS X, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and OS/2).
* Build system fixes.
* Documentation updates.
* Bugfixes.

2004-04-21: If you have trouble with SANE and USB scanners when updating from Linux 2.4 to 2.6 please read README.linux first.

http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux

excerpt:

With Linux 2.4.* you could either use the kernel scanner module or libusb to
access USB scanners.  In Linux 2.6.4 the kernel scanner module was removed.
Therefore with this and later kernels libusb must be used.

While SANE automatically uses libusb when the library and its header file were
present during the build of sane-backends, setting permissions will require
some attention.

The device files used by libusb are located in /proc/bus/usb/
(e.g. /proc/bus/usb/001/003). The exact file name can be found out by running
sane-find-scanner which would print "libusb:001:003" in this case. While
setting permissions with e.g. "chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/001/003" seems to work,
this change is not permanent. The permissions will be reset when the scanner is
replugged or Linux is rebooted.

One solution to set permissions on-the-fly are the Linux hot-plug tools that
should come with any current distribution. SANE itsself comes with a hotplug
script and related documentaion in the tools/hotplug/ directory. Please refer to
the README in that directory for the details.