Re: nVidia RIVA TNT - any success story?ll

You're kidding right? Did you RTFM on the drivers? Run their "binary" with -x and guess what? You have the full source, complete and ready to be hacked which I have done in order to get APM working when they decided to comment all of the code out (i admit quite awhile ago). Try it again, while they might not be GPL (i didn't bother to verify) they do provide the source. I don't have an NVidia in this laptop but here is your source:

[kspeer ks-fedlin64 nv]$ ls
conftest.sh          nv.c         nv-misc.h       os-interface.h
gcc-version-check.c  nv.h         nvtypes.h       os-registry.c
makedevices.sh       nv-kernel.o  os-agp.c        README
Makefile             nv-linux.h   os-agp.h        rmretval.h
Makefile.kbuild      nv-memdbg.h  os-interface.c
[kspeer ks-fedlin64 nv]$ pwd
/home/downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0/usr/src/nv
[kspeer ks-fedlin64 nv]$

On your other pointsL
1. have fun, there it is
2. ok, you got me, but in reality if you really want optimized drivers you always need to go to the vendor and they hardly want to let folks redistribute due to business logic
3. if you're looking for src, why is this a big deal? With many many features you need to mod config files by hand, this is the way of linux today
4. ok, well the average user doesn't update libraries making point 3 moot, removing and re-installing a kernel module can be easily scripted for anyone who cares to do so
5. don't update your kernel as often, the average user doesn't change their kernel, in fact this is why major vendors such as RH have the *kernel* as skipped packages as the default for updates.

You could find many many ways to bash vendors, I personally would rather like to see more act like NVidia. Where are my Broadcom drivers for 54G? Or the ATI drivers? Or my ACPI support from my laptop vendor? NVidia is farther along than any other vendor I know of in supporting Linux.

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenny Speer" <kenny speer comcast net>