ntfs support

Eric Beyer eric.beyer at lnxfrk.net
Tue May 4 14:44:44 UTC 2004

Stefan Thierl said:
> have you got any tips for people who don't want to wait til then to
> access their ntfs partitions, and want to compile the ntfs module for
> their standard redhat kernel? i had a go at it but building the modules
> from the source resulted in a new /lib/modules folder for my 'custom
> kernel' which of course i hadn't built.

Assuming you have the kernel source that matches version of kernel you are
running all you have to do is edit the toplevel Makefile
/usr/src/linux-xx/Makefile and remove the 'custom' from EXTRAVERSION = ...

For example:
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 18
EXTRAVERSION = -5custom

If running 2.4.18-5 then just take the custom portion off of EXTRAVERSION.

I have the steps to create the module w/o compiling the entire kernel
somewhere if need that let me know.

Thanks,
Eric