From: Kenny Speer [mailto:kenny speer comcast net]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 9:37 PM
To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases ; For testers of
Fedora Core development releases
Subject: RE: Installation of FCT2: GRUB interactive on
1stinstallandGRUBhangs on 2nd install

Personally, it sounds like the first few sectors of your drive are bad. Hoow old is your spindle?

~kenny

(Sent from Tungsten ¦ C)

"Daniel B. Thurman" <dant cdkkt com> wrote:
__________

Hi,

I did exactly what you said, to:
1) Win98 fdisk /MBR
2) grub-install /dev/hda

rebooting resulted:

Missing operating system

It appears that I am not performing Grub-install correctly
or that it is broke?

I went back to rescue, and interactive grub:
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

Same result:

Missing operating system

What is going on? Is grub able to create the proper MBR???

Ok... I have scratched everything again, and installed for
the 4th time, from the beginning and tried the whole
installation again....

Guess what... a reboot after installation resulted:

Missing operating system

I tried the grub-install /dev/hda.  Same problem.
I tried interactive grub:
root (hd0,2) <--- note: the partitioning changed to /dev/hda3
setup (hd0)

GRUB IS NOT INSTALLING THE MBR!!!!!  GRUB IS BROKEN!!!!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH GRUB!!!!

Best regards,
Dan