Re: Scanner Frustration

Tim Waugh wrote:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:44:55AM -0400, Sandy Pond wrote:

A new version of sane just came out with "Added scripts for USB
hotplugging".  Hopefully there's time to get it in.

http://www.sane-project.org/

There isn't, but please try the 1.0.13-6 package here:

ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/tmp/sane-backends/

The USB hotplug data is included, as well as a script.  This script
operates in exactly the same way as the one for USB cameras --
i.e. the current console user gets ownership of the device *when it is
plugged in*.

Better suggestions welcome.  It would be nice if the pam_console stuff
interacted more nicely with hotplug scripts that depend on 'current
console user', but I don't see a nice way of doing that.

Tim.
*/

I installed your new version, looked at /etc/sane.d/epson.conf and found it was for a different scanner than my Epson Perfection 1240U, so changed the last two lines to reflect my scanner as listed in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap.

The permissions on /proc/bus/usb/003/002 after reboot are still set at 644, so I need as root to chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/002 to get the scanner to work. Is it possible that something I set up in my multiple attempts to get the scanner working is interfering?

I just updated to all the available development updates this morning which included a new kernel and new hotplug packages. I have rebooted to the new kernel.

Gerry Tool