Re: Scanner Frustration

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:54:34AM -0500, Gerry Tool wrote:

> >i.e. the current console user gets ownership of the device *when it is
> >plugged in*.
[...]
> I installed your new version, looked at /etc/sane.d/epson.conf and found
> it was for a different scanner than my Epson Perfection 1240U, so
> changed the last two lines to reflect my scanner as listed in
> /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap.

Hmm, do we really need to list all the USB IDs in epson.conf? :-(

> The permissions on /proc/bus/usb/003/002 after reboot are still set at
> 644, so I need as root to chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/002 to get the
> scanner to work.  Is it possible that something I set up in my multiple
> attempts to get the scanner working is interfering?

Read my email again: the current console user gets ownership of the
device *when it is plugged in*.  The chown happens at the point of
inserting the device -- so if it is always plugged in, root gets it at
boot time (in absence of there actually being a console user).

So, if you unplug the cable and re-insert it, things should work.

I know it isn't ideal: as I said, suggestions for fixing it are
welcome.

Tim.
*/