Re: Scanner Frustration

Tim Waugh wrote:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:54:34AM -0500, Gerry Tool wrote:

i.e. the current console user gets ownership of the device *when it is
plugged in*.

[...]

I installed your new version, looked at /etc/sane.d/epson.conf and found it was for a different scanner than my Epson Perfection 1240U, so changed the last two lines to reflect my scanner as listed in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap.

Hmm, do we really need to list all the USB IDs in epson.conf? :-(

A possible workaround is to make sure the user knows that he/she needs to have the file modified to reflect their actual scanner as listed in /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap. I did test that the scanner won't work if the original record you had in the file was used.

The permissions on /proc/bus/usb/003/002 after reboot are still set at 644, so I need as root to chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/002 to get the scanner to work. Is it possible that something I set up in my multiple attempts to get the scanner working is interfering?

Read my email again: the current console user gets ownership of the
device *when it is plugged in*.  The chown happens at the point of
inserting the device -- so if it is always plugged in, root gets it at
boot time (in absence of there actually being a console user).

So, if you unplug the cable and re-insert it, things should work.

OK, sorry I didn't note that. Is it possible for this file to get created with the proper permissions and for whatever program is setting them to do it so it will work without intervention?

For the present I prefer to issue a command as root to change the permissions rather than wear out the connector and myself reaching behind the computer or scanner to unplug/plug the cable. Neither of these workarounds should be required in a production system.

Thanks for your reply.

Gerry Tool