New Kernel Slow Boot

Hi :

I run Fedora Core2 Test3 on a PC " Intel PIV 1.GHz , 512 MB RAM , IDE HDD 10GB , nVidia Riva TNT2 VGA , 3Com 3C905 Network Card " .
1- Yesterday I ran "up2date" to fully update my system . now the kernel was upgraded from 2.6.5-1.327 to 2.6.5-1.349 . the update modified the grub.conf file and put the default = 1 . now when I reboot the PC the grub initial screen comes with the old kernel highlighted and boot it after 10 seconds . when I manually changed the default = 2 it boots with the new kernel but the screen shows very little details " only that the kernel image decompressed then it will pause for 10 seconds or more then the GUI screen comes I never noticed such thing with previous versions of Linux Kernel 2.4.xx ---> 2.6.5-1.327 .

The boot messages are very vital and shows a lot of useful info about hardware which are suppressed in the latest kernel

How to make the kernel to display the messages as usual ??

2- in the GUI initial login screen the default session type is Gnome , how to make it to KDE 3.2.2

Thanks