Re: HP 4200

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 05:25, jim tate wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any working drivers for the HP4200C
> out yet?

Google says: it looks like someone took the time to write a mostly
functional HP4200 driver 4 years ago.  And posted a note 6 months ago
about getting it included in SANE but never made the needed corrections
as far as I see.  You're probably not going to find it in Fedora Core
until it's in SANE.  Unless someone (fixes it and) packages it
separately.  Here's the driver project:
  http://hp4200-backend.sourceforge.net/

A list of problems that needed to be fixed:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-December/009689.html

So, I'd say bug the author of that driver and see if he'll get it
working.  Looks like a weekend project for someone with sufficient
programming skill and a HP 4200C.

Otherwise, new scanner?  SANE-supported USB scanners of that age appear
to be quite abundant and very cheap.  I got a used Microtek Slimscan C6
USB for $10US at a local computer shop.  They were essentially using it
as a door stop.  The antialiasing is poor below 600dpi otherwise it
seems typical for a 4 year old scanner.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/