Use of labels in grub.conf

Greetings;

My old 233mhz P-II needs all the help it can get, so I was compiling a
stripped down kernel.  But I couldn't boot to it (no initrd, just
modules) using the root=LABEL=/ in the grub command line.

Fooled with it for several hours, then decided to use root=/dev/hdax
instead.  Worked first time.

What is it that allows the default FC2T3 kernel to use labels while
its booting, but when I duplicate the grub entry but with the newer
vmlinuz name, I have to use root=/dev/hda8?

--
Cheers, gene