Re: Use of labels in grub.conf

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 11:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> My old 233mhz P-II needs all the help it can get, so I was compiling a
> stripped down kernel.  But I couldn't boot to it (no initrd, just
> modules) using the root=LABEL=/ in the grub command line.
>
> Fooled with it for several hours, then decided to use root=/dev/hdax
> instead.  Worked first time.
>
> What is it that allows the default FC2T3 kernel to use labels while
> its booting, but when I duplicate the grub entry but with the newer
> vmlinuz name, I have to use root=/dev/hda8?

Maybe try labeling your root filesystem as:
root=LABEL=/1
            ^^
I have a dual-boot FC1/FC2t3 on my system and I *think* the FC2t3 is
labeled like that for this very purpose - to differentiate the two
different / filesystem's at boot. Can anyone verify this? i.e.:
## FC1 ##
# e2label /dev/hda2
/boot
# e2label /dev/hda5
/
## FC2t3 ##
# e2label /dev/hda11
/boot1
# e2label /dev/hda13
/1

Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.