cyrus-imap

After upgrading from FC1 to FC2 test 3 i realized that FC2 uses cyrus-imap and not the standard IMAP package that FC1 used and that it doesn't use PAM by default because I can no longer login through IMAP.  The server is running fine because I can telnet to it but when atempting to login I get a authentication error.  I have looked around at cyrus documentation of the cyrus site and redhat's site but the admin tools (mkimap, cm.user, etc) do not work.  I even tried changing the .conf file to pam authentication by changing the method to sasl_passwd_check: pam and I tried shadow.  any help getting users back in any way would be appreciated, thanks