Compaq Deskpro sound

Title: Compaq Deskpro sound

I have a Compaq Deskpro (yes I know its old, but it runs good so far) EN series. It uses an onboard sound chip which is an Ess-1888. The problem is that the es18xx drivers don't see it so I have no sound. Is this a known problem or can someone make an suggestions?

Compaq Deskpro DPENM-P400 with 256MB ram, 40GB drive and up2dated to this morning with kernel 351.

it could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly
native american criminal class except congress.
        - mark twain

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)