cdwriter

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun May 9 02:57:12 UTC 2004

Ted wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2004 12:17, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Ted wrote:
>>
>>>I have both Fedora and Debian on my drive...Debian will burn cd's ok and
>>>cdrecord -scanbus tells me the burner is 0,0,0 whereas Fedora tells me
>>>1,0,0 and in Fedora I get an error message...
>>>scsidev: 'ATA'
>>>devname: 'ATA'
>>>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>>>Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
>>>Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
>>>
>>>I notice I do not call for ide=scsi in the grub boot in fedora yet I do
>>>in the working Debian on the older kernel....
>>
>>The 2.6 kernel uses the ide-cd driver instead. Sometimes the CDROM needs
>>this added to the grub.conf file.
>>

>>>I have checked in /dev and the link is ok to hcd so anyone tell me
>>>where I am going wrong ??
>>
>>/dev/cdrom or /dev/cdwriter? (pointing to /dev/hdc)
>>
>>I'm on an FC1 nstallation right now. ls -la /dev/cd* gives me the below
>>output. FC2 of course should be different.
>>
>>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     9 Jan  2 17:07 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
>>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  3 06:52 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/sg0
>>
>>Have you tried to burn using the nautilus CD burner feature? (right
>>click on ISO file. Choose write to CD.)
>>
>>Jim
>

> Hi Jim
>    I finally found if I edit grub to put
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro root=LABEL=/ ide-scsi rhgb
> quiet
>
> All is ok.......Thanks for your help....

No problem. I am not sure what to add to the kernel line at different
times. Sometimes ide-cd is needed. Other times nothing is needed
additionally for CDROMS to work. Adding ide-scsi for the 2.6 kernel to
work doesn't work for me right now. I guess it works for others.

I'm glad that it works with that added to the kernel for you. (RHL 8 and
CDROM burners was real trouble for me and burning CDROMs. It dodn't work
very well for me.)

Jim