Re: cdwriter

Ted wrote:
On Monday 03 May 2004 12:17, Jim Cornette wrote:

Ted wrote:

I have both Fedora and Debian on my drive...Debian will burn cd's ok and
cdrecord -scanbus tells me the burner is 0,0,0 whereas Fedora tells me
1,0,0 and in Fedora I get an error message...
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

I notice I do not call for ide=scsi in the grub boot in fedora yet I do
in the working Debian on the older kernel....

The 2.6 kernel uses the ide-cd driver instead. Sometimes the CDROM needs this added to the grub.conf file.

I have checked in /dev and the link is ok to hcd so anyone tell me
where I am going wrong ??

/dev/cdrom or /dev/cdwriter? (pointing to /dev/hdc)

I'm on an FC1 nstallation right now. ls -la /dev/cd* gives me the below
output. FC2 of course should be different.

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     9 Jan  2 17:07 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  3 06:52 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/sg0

Have you tried to burn using the nautilus CD burner feature? (right
click on ISO file. Choose write to CD.)

Jim

Hi Jim
I finally found if I edit grub to put kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro root=LABEL=/ ide-scsi rhgb
quiet

All is ok.......Thanks for your help....

No problem. I am not sure what to add to the kernel line at different times. Sometimes ide-cd is needed. Other times nothing is needed additionally for CDROMS to work. Adding ide-scsi for the 2.6 kernel to work doesn't work for me right now. I guess it works for others.

I'm glad that it works with that added to the kernel for you. (RHL 8 and CDROM burners was real trouble for me and burning CDROMs. It dodn't work very well for me.)

Jim