Re: CD-ROM drive stopped working after upgrade

Leon Stringer wrote:
Hi,

I've just upgraded from FC1 to FC2 test3 and my CD-ROM drive no longer works: I can't play audio CDs or mount CD-ROMs. E.g. mount /mnt/cdrom gives me "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" (as root or user).

The big change between the two versions is that with FC1 /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0, whereas now it links to /dev/hdc (presumably this is some change in kernel 2.6 with the way it handles CD-ROM drives?).

dmesg lists "hdc: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-332B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" so presumably /dev/cdrom is linking to the correct location.

Can anyone give any advice on troubleshooting this? Is it a problem with my setup? It wouldn't be much good for users to upgrade from FC1 to FC2 and find they lose their CD drives!

Try it without hdc=ide-scsi in grub. If that does not work for you, try hdc=ide-cd in the grub.conf file for the kernel.

You are right, upgrading from FC1 to FC2T3 does break CDROMS (2.4 kernel parameters different than the 2.6 kernel parameters.)

My clean install adds this to my grub.conf file.

title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.356)
        root (hd1,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.356 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.356.img

The FC1 to FC2T3 upgrade left hdc=ide-scsi in grub.conf and did not work.

Jim

Thanks,

Leon...