Re: kernel 2.6.5-1.356 hangs at boot time

Jim Cornette wrote:
Sanjeev Das wrote:

Hi all,

I recently built kernel 2.6.5-1.356 from arjanv at
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/RPMS.kernel/. The system fails to boot and hangs in runlevel 5 at "checking for new hardware"

what could be the problem? thanks for the help.

Sanjeev

For me, the problem was caused by my "Sandisk ImageMate 6 in 1" flash card reader. I had to disable kudzu in runlevel 1, then run the below command to get runlevel 5 or 3 to boot past the checking hardware prompt.

options scsi_mod max_luns=8

Try a line like this in your /etc/modprobe.conf. Try different numbers like "6" too. If this seems to solve your problem, then you need to submit information about your device ... uh... somewhere... in order to add to a whitelist of some sort. Reply to this list, CC me and davej redhat com if the above suggestion seems to help.

Warren